The rules of poker are actually quite simple, and it’s easy to get going and start playing. We’ve put together this guide to teach you how to play poker in logical steps, going from the absolute basics of the game, to beginner poker skills and some more advanced plays you can use. Once you have read the various articles in this guide & have played a lot of hands, you will want to move onto our intermediate & advanced poker strategy articles.
How to play – Level 0
- Introduction – How to play poker (Texas Hold’em) - This is a basic introductory guide to Texas Hold’em, teaching you how to play and the basics of the game. This is a great place to start if you have never played before, or played a while ago but need to refresh yourself on the rules.
- Basic poker terminology – What it all means - This is a glossary explaining most of the common terminology you will encounter when playing poker, and in reading our articles – it is important that you understand these terms to get the most from our content.
- Poker Etiquette - This article covers poker etiquette, and how to handle yourself in both live and online play.
- How to choose an online poker rooms – Once you’ve got the basics covered, check out our guide on how to choose an online poker room and start playing!
Beginner Strategy Introduction – Level 1
- Starting hands – The ten best and worst starting hands in poker - This article covers the best and worst starting hands you can have when playing at a poker table.
- A beginner’s introduction to no-limit hold ‘em strategy – This article introduces you to no-limit hold ‘em strategy
- The importance of your position at the poker table - A look into why your position at the poker table, not just your cards, are very important, and how you should adjust your game for your position.
- Counting outs and calculating pot odds – This sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Calculating your pot odds and the chances of making your hand are vital skills, and this article gives you quick and easy tips on calculating them.
- An introduction to good bet sizing - This covers how you should be sizing your bets when involved in a hand, to accomplish different things.
- Why playing aggressive poker is important - Why you need to take an aggressive poker style at the table, to be profitable.
- What is a 3-bet? – This article covers the 3-bet – what it is and what it shows
- Different types of poker bets - These are the different types of bet you can make at the poker table: how to spot other players using them, and how to utilise them yourself
- Why every player should keep records of their play - A guide to taking records whilst playing poker, and why every player should do so.
- Going on tilt and how to avoid it - How to avoid going on tilt (becoming angry due to a hand going wrong, another player winding you up, losing a big pot or other factors which affect your mood).
- The biggest mistakes made by beginner poker players - Some of the biggest mistakes made by beginners highlighted.
- Top ten tips for beginner poker players - Our top ten tips for beginner poker players to improve their game.
Beginner Strategy – Level 2
- Counterfeiting in poker – This article covers counterfeiting – what it is, and how to handle it.
- How to beat the no-limit micro stakes – This is a comprehensive guide teaching you how to be a profitable player at No-Limit micro stakes poker
- A beginner’s guide to equity in poker – A full explanation of equity in poker, and how to utilise it in your calculations at the table
- A beginner’s guide to online multi-table tournaments – This article teaches you the basic skills that you need to start playing multi-table tournaments
Now that you have covered all the above topics, you are ready to move onto some of our more advanced poker strategy articles. Be aware though that above all else, becoming a good poker player involves hours and hours of practice. Between reading each of the level 1 & 2 articles, we recommend that you play some hands and try to implement the new strategy you have learnt. Good luck!